Welcome to the New York State Chapter’s Grassroots Alerts section. Grassroots Alerts will be posted on this page in order to keep you current with the latest issues which directly impact you and your patients.
The American College of Cardiology
The American College of Cardiology is one of the founding partners with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and multiple other federal and private organizations in the Million Hearts™ initiative. Started in September 2011, the goal of Million Hearts™ is to prevent one million heart attacks and strokes over five years. Million Hearts™ aims to prevent heart disease and stroke by:
- Promoting innovations to identify people with cardiac risk
- Ensuring that people at risk receive appropriate treatment
- Helping reduce the need for blood pressure and cholesterol treatment
- Promoting healthy diet and physical activity
- Supporting smoke-free environments to reduce current and future cardiac risk
As a health care professional, you play a key role in helping patients reduce their risk for heart disease and stroke lead longer, healthier lives. We encourage you to become involved in the Million Hearts™ Initiative on the grassroots level. Examples of activities that Million Hearts™
- Partners may engage in include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Including Million Hearts™ in existing health programs, events and materials
- Co-brand your materials with the Million Hearts™ logo and messaging
- Use your communication vehicles to support and promote Million Hearts™
- Support Million Hearts™ activities by promoting events, volunteering and sharing other resources
- Conduct events in partnership with Million Hearts™ to increase awareness of the initiativeResources, including the Million Hearts™ logo, factsheets, sample press release, overview presentation, digital and print content and sample web content may be downloaded from the Million Hearts™ website.
Million Hearts™ brings together heart disease and stroke prevention programs, policies and activities to raise awareness among health care providers, private-sector organizations, policy makers and consumers about what can be done to prevent heart disease and stroke in our nation and help Americans live healthier, more productive lives.
Extensive information about the Million Hearts™ initiative may be found at www.millionhearts.hhs.gov and www.millionhearts.hhs.gov/resources/toolkits.html